This toolkit includes:
How Do I Use the Toolkit?
If you are working to improve your own use of teach-back:
Use the toolkit to build your knowledge and expertise in always using teach-back to make sure you were clear, and patients and families understand.
- Look at the tools that tell about teach-back and how to move from old habits of traditional patient education to new habits of checking for understanding with teach-back.
- Work through the Interactive Teach-back Learning Module (about 45 minutes).
- Start using teach-back with your next patient.
- Check how well you did using the Observation Tool (PDF).
- Try again and build your confidence!
If you are coaching others to always use teach-back:
Use the toolkit to build your own and your staff’s knowledge and expertise in always using teach-back to make sure you were clear, and patients and families understand.
- Do steps 1-5 above.
- Review the Coaching Tips.
- Choose one or two staff members who are interested in using teach-back.
- Have them complete the Conviction and Confidence Scale. Use the results to guide your coaching as you move through these steps.
- Observe their current patient education practice using the Observation Tool.
- Have them complete the Interactive Teach-back Learning Module.
- Observe their use of teach-back with another patient using the Observation Tool.
- Use the Coaching Tips to coach them to Always Use Teach-back!
- Have staff complete the Conviction and Confidence Scale one and three months later. Use the results to guide additional coaching.
- Look for ways to adapt your systems to promote consistent use of teach-back, Making Teach-back an Always Event.
- Watch for relapses to old habits, and help overcome barriers.
- Choose a few more staff and repeat.